Messages can be sent as invitations and reminders. You can create messages for a single survey and use them as templates for other ones. For example, if you create an invitation message for Survey 1 and you want to reuse the design or text for a message for Survey 2, you can reuse it and change the text and/or design.
To create a message that you are going to use as a survey invitation or reminder, all you have to do is:
- Go to your survey and select responses on the side menu.
- Click on the options menu and click on messages.
- Click on the create message button ().
- Give your message a name.
- Now you have the following options:
- Start from scratch. Pick this option if you want to start from zero.
- Default messages. Here you will find ready-to-send messages that, if you want, can be used as inspiration since you can edit them to fit your needs.
- Your messages. Have you created a message for a different survey and you would like to reuse the design? Then search for the survey first and then the message. You'll be able to edit the text and design later on.
- Click next.
- Edit the heading, opening, button, and closing text.
Use merge fields to personalize your messages.
- Click next. If you have several language versions, you will go through all languages before you reach step 9.
- Add an image, and change the buttons' color and font of your invitation. You can also choose to center the alignment of your text.
- When you're done, click add*.
You can now use this message when inviting your respondents via email or when sending reminders.
* This feature is only available with a Professional subscription. Check out our plans.
MERGE FIELDS IN MESSAGES
Use merge fields to personalize your survey invitations by adding your respondents' background information, such as name, department, or city of residence to your messages.
You can add merge fields to the message heading, opening, and closing text. All you have to do is:
- Click the merge drop-down menu where you want to merge in a background variable.
- Select the variable you want to merge in.
- The variable will now be part of your message and the corresponding data will merge in when you send the message out as an invitation or reminder.
You can merge in system background variables, as well as any you have created yourself. These are the following system background variables you can merge in messages:
- [FIRSTNAME] [LASTNAME]: Your respondent's first and last name will be merged in.
- [SURVEY_LINK]: This merge field merges the respondent's unique and direct link to the survey. The invitation email has to contain this link.
- [PROJECTID] & [PASSWORD]: This will merge your survey's ID and each respondent will have their own password. These merge fields are useful when, due to system problems, respondents cannot access the survey link. It is your decision if you want this information to be included in the e-mail invitation.
- [REFUSE_LINK]: This merges in a link that allows respondents to refuse to participate in the survey. By clicking on this link the respondent is unsubscribed from the survey. You don't have to include this in your email invitation.