About Updating Background Variables
There are multiple reasons why you would need to update background variables. You might've forgotten to upload them when inviting respondents or there was an error in your respondent list (CSV file) that you would like to fix.
With Enalyzer, you can easily update your respondent's background variables. All you need to do is set up a CSV file with your Respondent IDs and the variable information that you would like to update.
To update background variables, you have to:
- Get the respondent IDs. These are unique, auto-generated IDs that are found in your response data download, which you can download as a CSV file.
- Update the CSV file with the missing data and upload it again to Enalyzer to update the background variables.
Step 1: Get Respondent IDs
Respondent IDs are automatically generated by Enalyzer when a respondent is created. To find the respondent IDs, you have to download your response data download. All you have to do is:
- Go to your survey, and select responses in the side menu (if the side menu is not open click the menu icon () to open it first).
- Click on the options menu, select download, and CSV.
- Remember to include background variables in the download and click the download button.
- Open the CSV file and set it up by deleting everything but the respondent IDs and adding the background variable(s) you need to update.
- Remember to save your changes.
Step 2: Upload the CSV File
Once your file is done, you are ready to upload it to Enalyzer. All you have to do is:
- Go back to the response page of your survey.
- Click on the options menu and select update background variables.
- Drag & drop or click to upload your CSV file.
- Map the fields by linking the fields from your CSV on the left to your survey variables on the right, i.e. map respondent ID to respondent ID and variable to variable.
- When you're done click next.
- You'll be given an overview of the responses that will be updated and if everything looks good, you can click done to import and update.
- Your background variable(s) have been updated.
You can update up to 10.000 responses at a time