About Matrix Multiple Choice Questions
Matrix Multiple Choice questions consist of a list of sub-questions graphically put into a matrix. It allows respondents to answer these questions with the same response options.
If you're looking to measure opinion or attitudes on the same scale, check out Matrix Rating Scale questions.
Add Matrix Multiple Choice Questions
To add a Matrix Multiple Choice question, all you have to do is:
- Go to your survey, click the add survey element icon (), and choose question.
- Select matrix multiple choice and click next.
- Type in your question and change the typography (bold, italic, and underline).
Use the merge field dropdown menu to insert your respondents' background information or their answers to previous questions.
- Add the sub-questions you need. You can copy, move, sort, and delete them using the actions menu.
Press the ↵ enter key to add a new sub-question, instead of clicking the add sub-questions button.
If you have the sub-questions in an external document such as Word, you can copy/paste the sub-questions and add them in bulk.
- Type in your response options. You can copy, move, and delete them using the actions menu.
- When you are satisfied with your question, click next.
- Now you can set up the question settings:
- Require answer: This setting is enabled by default. Disable it if you don’t want your question to be mandatory.
- Layout (radio buttons): Select the question's layout and decide how your response options are visually presented to your respondents. Radio buttons are the default layout but you can change it to a dropdown menu.
- Randomize sub-questions: This setting ensures that the order of sub-questions is not the same for all respondents.
- When you have finalized your question and customized the settings, click add.
Matrix Multiple Choice Questions in Response Data Downloads
You can download your survey responses from Enalyzer for several purposes. You can use the file for analysis in other software, share it with your team, or import it to another Enalyzer survey.
In the response data download, Matrix Multiple Choice questions are split up. You'll find a column for each sub-question. Each column has a header in the format “Question Number _ Sub-Question Number” to clarify the question and sub-question the column is referring to. For example in the table below "13_1".
By default, in each respondent's row, each response option in the question will be displayed with the respective label number, i.e. the selected response option. You are able to edit the format output, you can read about data formats here.
Matrix Multiple Choice Questions in Reports
You can visualize the data collected by your Matrix Multiple Choice questions in your reports. The available charts for Matrix Multiple Choice questions are: