About Rating Scale Questions
Rating Scale questions allow respondents to compare different response options using a common scale. We recommend a scale of 1-5 with a "don't know" or "N/A" option to measure opinions or attitudes.
Add Rating Scale Questions
To add a Rating Scale question, all you have to do is:
- Go to your survey, click the add survey element icon (), and choose question.
- Choose rating scale and click next.
- Type in your question and change the typography (bold, italic, and underline).
Use the merge field dropdown menu to insert your respondents' background information or their answers to previous questions.
The length of question text is restricted to max. 250 characters.
- It's time to define your scale and you have various options:
- Steps: Select the number of steps for your scale. By default, all scales start at 1, so if you choose 5 steps, you'll have a step ranging from 1 - 5.
- Reverse scale: If you'd like to reverse the scale, e.g. so that it reads 5-1 instead of 1-5, then enable the setting.
- Start from zero: If you want your scale to start from zero, enable the setting.
- 'Don't know' or 'N/A' option: Enable this setting to include a don't know or N/A option that will be automatically excluded from average calculations in reports.
- When you are satisfied with your question, click next.
- Now you can set up the question settings:
- Open answers: This setting allows respondents to elaborate on their answers.
Require answer: This setting is enabled by default. Disable it if you don’t want your question to be mandatory. If you enable the open answer setting, you will have the option to make open answers mandatory by enabling the require open answer setting.
It can be an advantage not to force a respondent to answer an open answer question since the respondent may not have a relevant comment.
- Layout (button scale): Select the question's layout and decide how your scale is visually presented to your respondents. Button scale is the default layout but you can change it to radio buttons, smileys or icons. Smileys can take on the text color or scale colors. Icons can take the form of hearts or stars.
- When you have finalized your question and customized the settings, click add.
Rating Scale Questions in Response Data Downloads
You can download your survey responses from Enalyzer for several purposes. You can use the file for analysis in other software, share it with your team, or import it to another Enalyzer survey.
In the response data download, Rating Scale questions are found in one column. By default, in each respondent's row, each response option in the question will be displayed with the respective label number, i.e. the selected scale number. You are able to edit the format output, you can read about data formats here.
- If you enabled the open answer setting, these will have their own column. The column name will be the number of the question followed by "_Open"
Rating Scale Questions in Reports
You can visualize the data collected by your Rating Scale questions in your reports. The available charts for Rating Scale questions are:
Reports remove "don't know" and "N/A" options from average calculations for Rating Scale questions.