When inviting respondents via email, you can quickly import them by creating a CSV file with their background information. Your CSV file has to contain the respondents' email addresses. Any other background variable depends on your survey needs.
For example, if you have a multilingual survey and you want to make the email invitations personal, then it's a good idea to add the following variables:
If you've added the first and last name variables to your email invitation, these will be replaced with the first and last name of the respondent. For this example, the language variable will ensure that your respondents receive the survey in the correct language.
IMPORTANT: The variables email, first name, and last name have to be in your CSV file. The format for date variables is: MM-DD-YYYY
How do I create a CSV file?
- Open Excel
- Insert the background variable names in the top row and the corresponding data underneath. The email variable has to be there.
- When saving the document, save it as CSV (Comma delimited).
- Now your file is ready to be uploaded or copy/pasted.
How do I import respondent information?
- Go to your survey, click and select collect.
- Click and select email.
- The sender information is taken from the configure phase of your survey. If the name and email are not specified, enter them but keep in mind that you can only change this if you go to the configure phase.
- Now you have the following options:
- If you already created a message for this survey, click on the drop-down menu under message and select your messages, search for your survey, select it, and finally search for your message.
- If you don't have a message, select start from scratch or default messages and choose from one of our ready-to-send messages.
- Click next.
- If necessary, you can edit the heading, opening, button, and closing text of your survey.
Pro tip: Use merge fields to personalize your invitation message.
- Click next. If you have several language versions, you will go through all languages before you reach step 8.
- Add an image, change the buttons' color and font of your invitation* and click next.
- Choose to upload** your CSV file.
- Now you have to map your fields by matching the CSV field with a survey variable, i.e. matching email with email, first name with first name, etc.
- If you have added variables to your CSV that have not been added to your survey, you have to choose new: text variable.
- If there are variables you don't want to include, simply click skip.
- Once you're done mapping, click next.
- Check that your data is correct and click next.
- Finally, choose whether or not you want to send now or schedule for later*.
- If you choose...
- send now, click next and send now.
- schedule for later, select the date and time you'd like your invitations to be sent, click next and schedule now.
- You will now be able to see an overview of your respondents.
* This feature is only available in the PRO and PRO+ plans. Check out our plans.
* This feature is only available for our paid plans. Check out our plans.